Inspiration

I took an unintentional hiatus from writing.  Life has been nothing short of crazy between the holidays and moving (ugh).  But I have been planning to write about all the ways that people have supported us in this journey.  Planning without an inspiration.  Of course, your support is inspiration in and of itself but I have felt empty lately.  Empty of emotion.  I’m running on empty.  But today during church I felt my soul perk up a bit.  John Maxwell spoke today, which is always a treat.  He spoke from Matthew 25:34-40.  I saw it in a whole new light today.  The way people have supported us has been extremely humbling.  It has been hard to accept.  I’m usually the one serving, the one bringing meals, the one helping to clean houses.  I’m not used to sitting back and letting people help me.  But today I saw it differently.  My friends and family were not serving me.  They were serving Jesus.  No, I’m not saying I’m Jesus.  Once you see the context of scripture, you’ll get it.  Stick with me.

Then the King will say to those on his right, “Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world.  For I was hungry and you fed me…

Yall.  Food was the first way that we were loved.  I remember sitting in the hospital and reading a message from my dear friend Emily.  She had volunteered to put together a meal train for us.  She set it up for the first two weeks.  It was filled in less than 2 hours.  I had people say they wanted to bring us a meal but didn’t have a chance.  Emily noticed that too so she extended it.  We had 6 weeks of meals delivered to our house almost daily.  That is unheard of.  Talk about humbling.  I felt like I was taking advantage of people but honestly, having those meals was the best thing I have ever had.  I haven’t had an appetite since everything happened but I at least ate (and enjoyed) every one of those meals.  Here’s the kicker:  my dear friend that set this up for us is dealing with her own trauma.  She has breast cancer and was facing a double mastectomy (just this week we got news that she is cancer free- praise Jesus!).  The fact that she was dealing with that and still chose to reach out to my family is something I will never forget. 

…I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink…

One of the harsh realities of giving birth at 20 weeks is that your breast milk still comes in.  My best friend Corrie brought me “No more Milk tea” to help me deal with trying to get it to stop.  One of the most thoughtful gifts was from another dear friend named Brittany.  She came over to help us pack but she also brought a beautiful painting she created for us.  She also brought cabbage (which I hear is used to stop breast milk- thankfully the tea was enough for me), chocolate and wine.  She gave me something to drink and I love her for that!  I also had a dear friend named Teaira who multiple times brought me pumpkin spice coffee- knowing that it is my favorite.  Keeping me supplied with coffee is a love language in and of itself.

…I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home…

I wasn’t invited into other people’s homes but they were invited into mine.  There were multiple times when I would see a name on the meal train and have no idea who it was.  I would hop on facebook and look them up.  Nine times out of ten, it was someone from Hebron MOPS.  That was nothing short of unbelievable.  We appreciated the meals so much but the fact that many of them came from women I didn’t even know yet.  They came with amazing meals and their own stories to share.  This experience has brought me new friends.

…I was naked, and you gave me clothing…

FYI- no one saw me naked.  But I was given things to wear and wrap up in that gave me comfort.  I was given beautiful jewelry that made me feel pretty by Sarah, Annie, Thereza and Christine.  I was given a tshirt and a canvas bag with arrows on it from Corrie to remind me of my little arrows.  My girls gave me a blanket that they each contributed fabric.  They wrote beautiful notes of encouragement and love on it.  I’ve wrapped up in that many times already.

…I was sick, and you cared for me…

This goes without saying.  You also cared for me as I cared for Trey.  When I got home from the hospital Trey had the worst fever he has ever had.  So there I was, stuck on the couch with a sick kid while my mom and Corrie packed boxes for our move.  There are so many people that cared for me- and my family.  But I’d like to take a moment to thank two special ladies- my mom and my mother in law.  I am so incredibly blessed to have two moms in my life that love me and take care of me.  This has been hard for everyone but I can’t imagine how hard it is for the moms- to watch us struggle.  You were here to take care of Trey when I didn’t have it in me.  You were there to help us clean the house to get it ready to put on the market.  You rarely sat down to take a moment to yourself.  You took over when I was so emotional all I could do was sit at the table and write.  You stood by me when I was irritable and forgave me when I snapped at you.  I cannot thank you enough.

…I was in prison, and you visited me…

Call it grief.  Call it depression.  Call it post-partem.  All could apply, all could be considered a prison.  The last few weeks have been a struggle to say the least.  I have struggled being social.  I have struggled holding conversations.  I have struggled to even leave the house.  There have been friends who understand that.  There are friends that let me be me no matter what mood I’m in.  There are friends that see me despite the happy face I try to put on.  My friend Mckeva texted the other day after she saw me at church.  She said “today your eyes were the windows to your soul.  my soul cries out to you.  I love you!  Today I saw you but I didn’t see Meghan… I saw the vessel but not ‘your spirit’.  I know you said you were tired but your eyes said more.  So again… my soul cries out…I love you.”  You have no idea how much that meant to me- to be seen but not have to explain myself.  To be loved and accepted in whatever state I am in. 

… Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink?  Or a stranger and show you hospitality?  Or naked and give you clothing?  When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you? 
And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’


All of those who have brought meals, helped us pack, given us heartfelt gifts, and just come to visit and cry with us- you have not only served us but you have served Jesus.  Jesus is proud of you, dear ones.  You have taken time out of your lives to invest in one of His children. That has not gone unnoticed- by me or by Jesus.  So thank you.  Thank you for investing your time and love.  Thank you for braving the hard conversations.  Thank you for coming alongside us and holding us up.  Thank you for loving me and loving my family because when you have taken care of me, you have taken care of my family.  Denny and Trey have benefitted from how you have lifted me up.  I would not have survived this time without my friends and family.  For that I am absolutely sure.  I love you all.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dots

Method to our Madness

Rainbow