Great Are You Lord


I love worship music.  I was raised with worship music.  My mother has an amazing voice and plays the piano with ease.  I was raised singing with her in church.  I have fond memories of standing next to her in church as we harmonized with eachother.  I don’t even know how to sing melody.  Harmony is so ingrained in me.  When I hear a new song I sing along as I’m learning it, picking up on the harmony right away.  I love that my mom taught me to do that. 

When I connect with a song I will play it over and over.  About a month ago, our worship team played a new song.  I was struck by the lyrics and couldn’t even sing along.  I just stood and listened as the lyrics washed over me.  A friend posted the music video on facebook and I have been playing it over and over.  It says what I’ve been trying to say for months.  That’s the beauty of music.  It has a way of communicating the depths of our hearts better than we could ever utter in just words.  Here are the lyrics: 

 
Great are you Lord

All Sons and Daughters

 
You give life.

You are love.

You bring light to the darkness.

You give hope.

You restore every heart that is broken

Great are you Lord

 
Its your breath, in our lungs.

So we pour out our praise, we pour out our praise

Its your breath, in our lungs

So we pour out our praise to you only.

 
All the earth will shout your praise

Our hearts will cry

These bones will sing

Great are you Lord

 
You can listen to it here-


I love the chorus saying “Its your breath in our lungs.  So we pour out our praise”.  I can truly say that it has been God breathing for me the past few months.  Even during the pregnancy, I was so anxious from the beginning that I had a hard time breathing.  I know what it feels like for God to do the breathing for me.  I know what it feels like to struggle.  I know what it feels like to have the only thing on your to-do list for the day is just trying to breathe. 

But in the midst of that struggle to breathe, I can still pour out my praise and say “Great are you Lord”.  If I didn’t experience the struggle to breathe, I wouldn’t know the sweet relief of taking a deep, restorative breath.  I wouldn’t be able to appreciate where I am now.  I don’t take that for granted. 

We just moved in to a new house.  This house is amazing.  The neighborhood is amazing.  The backyard: AMAZING!  Our offer on the new house went through just a few days after we lost the twins.  Anytime I struggled to breathe, I would picture the backyard we would soon be enjoying.  In my mind’s eye, I would place myself standing on the back porch.  I would picture myself standing out there, with a cup of coffee, breathing.  That is where I found peace.  So now we are in that house.  I’ve realized just recently that the days that I can peel myself out of bed early in the morning, fix coffee, and take the dog outside before the kid gets up are the days that are peaceful, the days I can breathe.  I love feeling the brisk morning air filling my lungs.  Every breath is a reminder of God’s presence- how he once held me, breathed for me and restored me to where I can breathe on my own.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dots

Method to our Madness

Rainbow