Politics... shudder


I hate politics.  Its an ugly word for me.  I don’t like the tension that is involved.  I’m uncomfortable with the confrontation that comes when the debate is in full swing.  I have never taken a strong stance on any candidate.  There just too much we don’t know.  This election is different though.  This election you can’t help but get sucked in.  We have a financially driven reality star up against a lifelong politician, elbow deep in conspiracy.  Those two choices can leave you terrified but today I saw a new perspective. 

I’ve heard many people share how scared they are for our country.  I’ve said that myself.  I’ve heard people talk about how they cannot vote for either candidate because of the major flaws they see in each one.  I’ve heard people say that they fear what this election means for the future of their children.  All of these are true- I can’t deny it! 

Our pastor spoke about politics this weekend at church.  My friends and I were discussing it before church, knowing that this topic was coming.  I knew that he wouldn’t share who he was voting for from the pulpit.  That would be a terrible idea.  He would get all sorts of backlash from that!  But I was curious as to where the discussion would go.  I was extremely impressed with how he handled it. Our pastor always does an excellent job with the “hot button” topics.  He has a knack for sticking to biblical truth and leaves opinion out of it.

He started by citing Joshua 5, where Joshua was near Jericho.  He saw a man standing in front of him with a sword drawn.  He stepped up to him and said “are you for us or against us?”  The man said “neither.  But as commander of the army of the Lord I have now come.”  In other words, “I stand for the Lord and I come to take over”.  Our pastor’s point was that it all begins and ends with God.  No matter the outcome.  God is in control of each battle and he will win the war. 

As he was making this point, my mind trailed off (preggo brain- but I’m proud to say that at least it was still on topic).  I started thinking of the leadership examples we have in the Old Testament.  We really have more examples of evil leadership than godly.  Most of the godly examples we have are not kings.  They are “nobody’s”.  They are leaders God raised up from obscurity to change the political climate.  Lets look into this in more detail:

Pharaoh- In Exodus we see how Pharaoh had God’s people enslaved for generations.  He was afraid of the Israelites so he oppressed them and controlled their every move.  That’s pretty evil.  How did God handle it? He raised up Moses.  He used Moses to speak to Pharaoh.  He convinced him to let the people go.  Moses led the Israelites through a journey of deliverance. 

Ahab- In I Kings we read about King Ahab.  It says in chapter 16 that “he did more evil in the eyes of the Lord than any of those before him.”  It goes on to explain the evil things he did which included building temples to other gods.  It even says that “he did more to arouse the anger of the Lord, the God of Israel, than did all the kings of Israel before him.”  That’s heavy evil. How did God handle it?  He raised up Elijah the prophet.  Elijah started his time on the scene by prophesying that there will be a major drought.  He worked behind the scenes for years until the people took notice that he knew what he was saying.  During these years he mentored Elisha.  Elisha was the one called to prove God’s power and call His people back. 

Xerxes- In Esther we read about the pride, drunkenness and anger of Xerxes.  He had his wife killed because she wouldn’t come to him to be shown off to his drunk friends.  How did God handle this?  He raised up Esther.  Esther became his new wife.  Now the really interesting thing in this story is that it was Xerxes’ assistant that was working his evil plots behind the scenes.  He plotted to wipe out all of the Jewish people.  The crux of the story?  Esther was Jewish, unbeknownst to Xerxes and his assistant.  She was truly born for “Such a time as this”.  God put her in a place of influence so she could deliver God’s people.

What is my point in all of this, you ask?  My point is that this current election and the ungodly candidates we have as options- its not the first time in history that we are dealing with this.  Ecclesiastes 1:9 says “What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again;  there is nothing new under the sun.”  So this current situation may look like the worst of the worst to us.  But God has seen it already. He has seen the problem.  He has seen the solution.

As I sat and listened to our pastor’s take on politics and the current election, I felt an excitement rise in me.  Of course, I’m still anxious for our future as a nation.  I’m concerned about the pride of one candidate and the secrets of another.  I’m nervous about what that all of this means for my kids.  But what I feel is no longer fear.  The fear is replaced with an excitement to see what God will do.  He is being set up for an opportunity to show His power. 

We hear people encouraging us to pray for our nation.  We hear people say to pray for our leaders.  What I’m asking is for us to pray for today’s Moses, Elisha and Esthers.  Pray for those that have the ears of our leaders.  Pray for God to raise up those “nobody’s” to be major “somebody’s” in God’s story, His story of deliverance.  We are a people that need God.  Unfortunately, not all know that they need God.  God still doesn’t have our attention. 

Today I heard a message of hope.  Yes, these may be dark days.  But what is our calling, as the “nobody’s”?  Each one of us have a calling to be light.  Matthew 5:14 says “YOU are the light of the world… let YOUR light shine before others, so that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in Heaven.”  In this coming election, when things get darker, our light, God’s light, should shine brighter.  We have a message of hope for our country, a message our country DESPERATELY wants to hear, no matter the candidate they believe that can rise up to the challenge.  Ultimately, it all begins and ends with God.  He holds the answers.  He holds the hope.  Whatever candidate you choose to vote for, be one that carries the LIGHT of hope that comes not from our President but from our God.  Period.       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dots

Method to our Madness

Rainbow