Mama's Little Hero


Two weeks ago I broke my ankle.  I had just put my kids to bed and I was walking down the stairs.  I heard/felt a pop and tumbled down the last five steps.  I’ve sprained my ankle before in much the same way- just walking down the steps.  I think I initially sprained it this time but then it broke as I tumbled.  When I landed at the bottom of the stairs, I looked down at my foot and saw it was pointed the wrong way.  It was gnarly.  I was near panic. I was home alone with the kids (hubs was on his way home from Salt Lake City but wouldn’t arrive at the house for another couple of hours).  My phone was in the other room.  I was in excruciating pain and had no way to get help.  I screamed for Trey and he came running to save his mama.  Looking back at Trey’s 5 years in my arms, he has played this role many times. 

My Trey is so brave.  He came to my rescue and got my phone so I could call around to get help.  He saw that I was shaking so he brought me blankets.  He saw that I was uncomfortable so he brought pillows.  He even pulled up his chair so he could sit with me and I could rest my foot on the chair.  He got my wallet out of the diaper bag so I would be ready for the paramedics.  He unlocked the door for my friend Amanda when she arrived.  I think I was laying on the floor waiting for help for about an hour.  But Trey was by my side the whole time.  He never cried.  He was strong and brave.  Having him there kept me calm.  I knew I couldn’t freak out because he was watching.  He needed to know that I was ok.  I think being aware of that kept me from passing out from the pain. 

As I was reflecting on this experience a few days later, I realized that Trey has done this for me before.  Trey was due on January 11th, 2013.  However, I had a scare on December 25th, 2012.  Denny had just left on an international flight.  Thankfully, his parents were here for Christmas.  They were packing up to leave as I discovered that I needed to go to the hospital.  They rushed me to the hospital and got me checked in.  Once I was checked in, they left so I could have privacy for the dr’s examination.  I was so scared. I was terrified of labor. I was terrified that I would have to go through this without Denny.  I even told the nurse that I was not having this baby tonight so they needed to figure out a way to stop labor.  She was kind, but she laughed at me. 

I remember being alone in that hospital room, praying.  I remember talking to Trey and telling him how much I loved him.  I’ll never forget the sense of peace that washed over me as I focused on his heartbeat on the monitor.  Hearing his heartbeat made me realize that I wasn’t alone.  My boy was with me.  With his presence, I could be brave. That was my first real parenting moment- those moments when you have to take a deep breath and stay calm for the benefit of the child.

I have grown so much since having Trey.  Its amazing how much having kids will change you.  I’ve always been timid and shy.  It was Trey that brought confidence out in me.  I can be brave because he is brave.  I've gotten many comments about how positive my attitude has been through this healing process.  The reason for my positive attitude?  Trey.   Seeing Trey be so caring and loving brings me so much joy.  A couple days ago I was in a lot of pain and so I was back in my bedroom. Trey came to check on me and said “do you need anything mom?”  My heart just melted.  My little 5 year old boy wanted to take care of me.

Being a parent is a huge responsibility.  Taking care of these kiddos is a lot of work.  But then the day comes when they want to take care of you.  That’s enough to knock you off your feet- even the broken ones.  I had a tshirt made for Trey.  It says “mama’s little hero”.  I’m so proud of Trey.  He is caring and sweet, always looking out for others.  He loves to be a helper.  He loves to make people smile.  I can’t wait to see how God uses Him when he grows up.  In the meantime, I’m glad to witness how God is using him even now at 5 years old.       
Don't let anyone think less of you because you are young.  Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity.  I Timothy 4:12

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dots

Method to our Madness

Rainbow