Christmas through the eyes of a child


It is January 14th, 2016 and we are now, officially done with Christmas.  Yep.  That’s right.  It has taken us 3 weeks to get through Christmas.  We celebrated on Christmas day with my parents in Michigan.  We celebrated January 3rd with just my husband, my kid and I.  We finished off the Christmas season yesterday with my in laws.  Three Christmases.  We also had two birthdays- mine and my sons.  Not gonna lie, I’m a bit celebrated out. 

 

This is the first year Trey has understood the whole Christmas thing.  Well, he understands the fun part- Santa, reindeer and presents (or “p-hents” as he says).  Sadly, the spiritual significance of Christmas goes right over his 3 year old little head.  Nevertheless, it was fun to watch his eyes light up when he saw all the presents under the tree.  It was a blast to see him open them.  But as I reflected on the hustle and bustle of the last few weeks, I learned a few things from how Trey experienced the season and how that applies to my own life.

 

This boy is all about presents.  At my parent’s house, the tradition is we eat brunch and then dad reads Luke 2 before we start gifts.  Well we didn’t even bring the gifts into the room until dad was done reading because my little boy just wanted to tear into those gifts ASAP.  Here’s how gifts went: Trey would get a gift, tear into it and demand to open the package to start playing with it.  As he was playing with his new toy, someone else would open a present.  But when Trey would see someone else opening a present he would demand to open another one.  I would calmly say he needed to wait his turn and then his little bottom lip would pop out and he’d drop his little head. This is when my mother, the doting Grammy that she is, would say “oh, he can open this one” and hand him another one.  How often is this a reflection of our lives even as adults?  We live in a society where things are on a “now” timetable.  We have fast food, next day delivery and convenience stores on every corner (or just go to Target where you can go in for toilet paper and milk and come out with $100 worth of items you suddenly “need”.  Better yet, order things from target online and have it delivered to your door.).  God forbid we have to wait.  One of my favorite verses is Psalm 40:1 which reads, “I waited patiently for the Lord; he inclined and heard my cry.”  How often do I wait for the Lord as opposed to rushing out doing things on my own.  Sometimes the best things in life require waiting.  I waited 22 years before God brought my husband into my life.  I waited 8 more years before God brought my son.  Looking back I was crazy impatient but I’m so glad I waited in God’s timing and didn’t try to rush anything.  Life would look a lot different if I had. 

 

Trey has been so cranky the last few days.  This has had me absolutely baffled because he has all these new toys to play with.  He also has his grands in town, whom he absolutely loves.  He wakes up asking for his grandad.  Yesterday I realized the issue.  He is overstimulated.  He has so many new toys that he is overwhelmed with the possibilities.  He is having trouble sleeping because he doesn’t want to stop playing.  Naptime is a nightmare.  Again, how often is this a reflection of our lives as adults?  We have so much.  Think about the state of your family room any given evening.  Is your TV on?  Are you on your computer or laptop- facebook, twitter, Instagram, pinterest?  Are you on your phone texting multiple people at the same time?  I saw a Christmas card recently where the family (mom, dad, and two preteen boys) were all dressed up matchy matchy in their jeans and white shirts.  The only distinctive feature of this common family photo op is that they all had their heads down looking at their phones.  I instantly laughed because that is very true.  But it is also very, very, sad.  I get cranky too when I think that I “need” to get this text message written and sent while my toddler is trying to pull me aside to play with him.  I get cranky too when there is so much noise in the house.  A few months ago I did what I said I would never do- I got a DVD player for the car.  The idea is to only use it when we are going to be in the car for a good chunk of time.  Well we recently moved so our commute to Trey’s school and our church is now 40 minutes.  Sometimes I give in to the “on! On!” request of my toddler.  But a few days ago I picked that battle and refused to put it on.  Oh he fussed but eventually he accepted his fate and we had a peaceful drive home. 

I so desperately need to simplify.  As of right now, I am sitting at my computer.  I don’t even have a TV or radio in the room.  I’m typing away with the only noise being the chatter of the keys and the rain falling outside.  So peaceful.  I could sit here forever- except I have a 3 year old that will be getting up in 20 minutes.  Take some time to simplify.  Laptops, phones, TV can wait. When we take away the distractions of life, its easier to sit and wait on the Lord.    Wait for the beauty that the Lord has in store for you.  Quiet yourself, quiet your life. 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dots

Method to our Madness

Rainbow